|Posted by Connie Marquez on January 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM|
In 1824, Martin Varner, his family and slaves started this sprawling plantation on the Brazos River. Varner sold the property in 1834, and the plantation continued to change hands until former Texas Gov. James S. Hogg purchased it in 1901. His children later remodeled the two-story brick home. The house remained in the family until daughter Ima Hogg donated the property to the state in 1958. Today Varner Hogg State Historic Site preserves the majestic antebellum home along with many of the Hogg family heirlooms, period furniture and historic documents.